Submission – Time To Make A Decision

I’m indecisive. There, I said it. I’ve been known to take weeks to make an online purchase. I read reviews, compare brands and prices, then go back and do it all over again a few days later. I’d like to think that just makes me an informed consumer, but it applies to many other aspects of my life as well.

Even being asked what I want for dinner. My response is always the same : “I don’t know.” It frustrates my wife to no end, but she endures it because, well, she’s awesome. Over the years, though, even her patience has worn thin at times, resulting in the words ‘make a decision!’ being uttered half-jokingly.

Now I’m facing a big decision. I’ve found a publisher to whom I’d like to submit my novella, I Hate Switzerland. They specialize in dark fiction, and they accept novellas. And despite being mostly a publisher of e-books, they also print all their books in a limited edition hardcover as well. The downside? They state on their website they will not accept submissions that have been or will be submitted anywhere else, and their response time is up to six months. Either one on its own doesn’t bother me much, but the two together make me slightly hesitant.

Maybe I’m just being neurotic. It just feels weird to send my work off to someone and know it could be six months before I hear anything, and if they reject it I start back from square one. We’re talking freakin’ October.

At the same time, if they accepted the novella it would be totally worth it, since they seem to have built a loyal following of readers. So maybe I’ve made up my mind as I’ve sat here typing. Hey, thanks blogosphere!

As far as my other works in progress, I have another novella awaiting revisions (Araceli Blues, if you’re interested), and I’m about 12,000 words deep in the rough draft of what I’m assuming will end up as a novel (tentatively titled The Devil On Your Back). I’m also slowly working on a nonfiction essay recounting my brief (and somewhat humorous) encounter with a medical cadaver. I’ll be putting that on the blog sometime after the A to Z challenge is over.

In the meantime, I need to come up with a brief ‘back of the book’ teaser for Switzerland to send with the submission. And I need to think of topics for my ‘T’ and ‘U’ posts (‘V’ is a already planned). Ugh, I need to get busy.

Published by Kenneth Jobe

Kenneth Jobe is a writer, photographer, musician, and Native Californian living in the Midwest with his wife and son. His fiction has been published in Jitter, The Rusty Nail, Ghostlight: The Magazine of Terror, and the horror anthology Robbed of Sleep, Volume 2.

3 thoughts on “Submission – Time To Make A Decision

What's on your mind?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: